The Department of Geophysics, established in 1949, is one of the oldest pioneer centers of Geophysical education in the country. Initially, two-year M. Sc degree course in Geophysics was started. But later on, the Department of Geophysics, BHU adopted three-year degree course in 1976, leading to M. Sc (Tech.) Geophysics with specialization in exploration Geophysics and Meteorology.
The department is equipped with modern geophysical equipment, sectional library and several Geophysical Laboratories. The syllabus of M. Sc. (Tech.) Geophysics has been revised and updated regularly with more emphasis on computer aided applications in geophysical education.
The Department draws its strength from the reputation of its faculty from its research contributions in reputed National and International Institutions and journals and interaction with National and International scientific organizations. The rigorous academics and regular department-industry partnership help to prepare students to keep pace with changing times.